What types of cars and motorcycles do BHPians own?
Recently, someone mentioned that the fact is that more BHPians own Rs 15 to 20+ lakh cars than Rs 6 lakh. But is it so?
BHPian ninjatalli recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
Click here to see which category your car belongs to.
- What vehicle do you currently own?
- How many vehicles does the average bhpian own?
- How many of us would rather not have the hassle of owning a vehicle?
- How many of us only own 2-wheelers?
- How many of us have switched to electric vehicles?
- And so many others…
It is always interesting to understand the breakdown of vehicle ownership across the forum. Ask any BHPian and depending on how long they’ve been on the forum, the answer will be as varied as it gets.
Recently, someone mentioned that the fact is that more BHPians own 15-20+ lakh cars than Rs 6 lakh. But is it so?
Data provides the real facts. So let’s go ahead and see what facts the data returns to us.
- If you don’t know which segment to put your car in, refer to threads like these – 1, 2, 3
- Also, if you are confused about your two wheeler, refer to threads like these – 1, 2
- If you still think your vehicle is not represented in the list above, mark it under “Others” and post a message explaining the same.
- Cycles weren’t considered in the list above, so forgive that omission for now.
Here is a quick explanation for each segment as posted by BHPian GreasyCarb55.
- A segment – These are the small/mini sedans in the car market, some of the cheapest and most basic cars on sale. Ex – Renault Kwid, Maruti S-Presso/Alto 800, Datsun GO/Redi-Go etc.
- Segment B1 – These are your usual sedans. Ex – Maruti Swift/WagonR, Hyundai Grand i10 Nios, Tata Tiago etc.
- B2 Segment – These are your premium sedans. Ex – Hyundai i20, Maruti Baleno, Toyota Glanza, Honda Jazz, Tata Altroz, etc.
- C1 Segment – These are your entry-level sedans and larger SUVs. Ex – KIA Sonet, Hyundai Venue, Tata Nexon, Maruti Brezza/Dzire, Honda Amaze, Hyundai Aura, Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Tata Punch, etc.
- C2 Segment – These are your proper sedans and also include larger/premium SUVs. Ex – Honda City, Maruti Ciaz, Skoda Slavia/Kushaq, VW Virtus/Taigun, Hyundai Creta, KIA Seltos etc.
- Segment D1 – These include larger and more powerful sedans and larger SUVs. Ex – Skoda Octavia, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla/Innova, Mahindra XUV 700, Tata Safari/Harrier, Jeep Compass.
- D2 Segment – These include some of the most premium sedans and SUVs without touching luxury brands like Lexus, BMW, Audi, etc. Ex-Honda Accord, Skoda Superb/Kodiaq, Toyota Camry/Fortuner, Ford Endeavor (RIP 3.2 Inline 5)
- Premium – These are your luxury brands and their sedans and SUVs, this includes everything from the smallest 3-Series/A4/C-Class to the big bad X7/Q7/GLE/GLS. Ex-Audi, Lexus, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar etc.
- Utility – These are the big bad tough 4X4s. Ex – Mahindra Thar, Gurkha Force, Maruti Gypsy (RIP), Toyota Hilux, Isuzu D-Max etc.
- Motorcycles and scooters should be self-explanatory.
Here is what GTO had to say about it:
Or maybe they contribute more with discussions! Here is our property review section, sorted by feed start date (newest first). I see more cars over 15 lakh in there than
Here is what BHPian Swapnil4585 had to say about it:
- D1 – Corolla Altis.
- C2 – Ciaz (not mine, a neighbor kept it at my house while he has been abroad for 2 more years).
- 125cc Bajaj XCD (my beloved Spike Dudley in a roped Royal Rumble).
- Access 125 (which requires a candle every weekend).
- HH Pleasure (my sister does 150km one way tours on this 11 year old machine).
- Inazuma 250 (yet to join the garage, it is neither fully mine nor fully mine yet).
Here is what BHPian tchsvy had to say about it:
- B1 – Nissan Micra Active
- Gearless Scooter – Suzuki Access 125
- Geared Motorcycle – Honda CBR 250R
Here is what BHPian V. Narayan had to say about it:
Volvo XC60, Lexus ES300h and Amaze.
Here is what BHPian GreasyCarb55 had to say about it:
Although I personally don’t own any cars or motorbikes, our family owns 2 cars and 2 two-wheelers.
- C2 – 2017 Honda City ZX Petrol CVT, this is dad’s main car.
- Minivan – Toyota Innova 2.5V Diesel 2011, our designated highway machine, my mother loves this car even if it does not drive at all and refuses to sell it, type 2 converted to type 4 following an accident in 2016.
- Scooter – Vespa LX 125 2013, mum’s scooter, used regularly until 2019, looking to sell it as we no longer need it.
- Motorcycle – 2014 Yamaha FZ-S, this was my uncle’s trusty FZ, has done nearly 70,000 km with no issues. Unofficially passed on in 2020 so I can learn to ride. Looking to sell it and get an Interceptor/GT 650 or Duke 390 for college.
Here is what BHPian Sanidhya mukund had to say about it:
- Premium: Mercedes C-Class
- Utility: Ertiga 2021, Omni 2016
- Obsolete: Ford Ikon, Maruti Esteem, Tata Estate. They were C1 and C2 cars when new, but they can no longer fit into the current scheme.
Check out BHPian’s comments for more ideas and information.