Driver charged with motor vehicle homicide after Utah couple killed on motorcycles in crash

A man accused of hitting and killing a Southern Utah couple on a motorcycle last week while intoxicated has been charged with motor vehicle homicide. (Steve Griffin, Deseret News)

Estimated reading time: 3-4 minutes

ST. GEORGE — A man accused of hitting and killing a Southern Utah couple on a motorcycle last week has been charged with automobile homicide.

John Brett Sartor, 47, whose address is listed as the Switchpoint homeless shelter in St. George, is charged with two counts of motor vehicle homicide, a second-degree felony; two counts of driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, a third degree felony; driving with a revoked or suspended license, a class B misdemeanor, as well as other traffic offences.

On April 3, the couple was hit by a Honda Accord and killed in a head-on crash on Old Route 91 in Washington County near Gunlock, according to a police arrest affidavit. Police said Sartor failed to negotiate a curve in the road.

Family members identified the couple as Jacob Adam Cadreact and Lindsey Contreras in an obituary. They were engaged.

“From evidence at the scene, it appeared that the Accord, operated by Sartor, was northbound on the old Route 91 and drifted on a double yellow line into oncoming traffic,” it said. wrote the police.

The man and woman died at the scene. Sartor was taken to hospital with injuries, police said.

“According to deputies at the scene, medical personnel indicated the smell of alcohol as they worked on Sartor and prepared him for transport. Sartor has a revoked driver’s license for alcohol-related offences, as well than six prior driving convictions with at least two prior impaired driving arrests in the past 10 years,” the affidavit states.

Police said Sartor is also a restricted lockout driver, which means he cannot drive without an ignition interlock installed. These devices require a person to pass a blood alcohol test.

“No locking devices were observed in the vehicle. Sartor is currently on parole. Based on the entire scene, Sartor’s failure to negotiate a long curve, the presence of alcohol detected by medical personnel , and the status and history of Sartor’s license to drive under the influence, I believe it is likely that Sartor was so impaired that he could not operate a motor vehicle safely,” said wrote the police in the affidavit.

After he was released from the hospital, police incarcerated Sartor in the Washington County Jail, according to court documents.

A search of court records shows Sartor was charged in 2016 with driving under the influence, failing to stay put in an accident resulting in injury, driving as a drink-restricted driver and driving without locking system. The charges stemmed from a head-on crash caused by Sartor “driving at high speed in a center turning lane,” according to the charging documents. He pleaded guilty to driving under the influence. In exchange for his plea, the other charges in this case were dropped. He was sentenced to serve up to five years in Utah State Prison.

Sartor pleaded guilty to driving under the influence again in 2019 and 2020, according to court documents. In each of these cases, he was again sentenced to up to five years in Utah State Prison.

Related stories

A lifelong Utahn, Ashley Imlay covers state politics and breaking news for

More stories that might interest you

Comments are closed.