Court records: Chasing suspect jumped out of hotel window, stole dump truck

PLAINS TWP. – Before Joshua Christian Forrester-Westad was captured following an hour-long chase on Wednesday, he was nearly caught at a motel where he was staying.

Forrester-Westad, 40, jumped out of the window as police knocked on the door of the motel room where he was staying, court records show.

After jumping out of the window, Forrester-Westad allegedly stole a dump truck – initiating a chase with police – driving through residential streets, up curbs and across lawns before abandoning the truck, according to court records.

Forrester-Westad was eventually captured in a Motorworld parking lot near Parsons.

The chase began when a Plains Township police officer noticed an unattended motorcycle near the Red Roof Inn on State Road 315 just before 1 p.m. When the officer turned around, he spotted Forrester-Westad walking towards the motorcycle.

The officer knew that Forrester-Westad was wanted by multiple police departments.

Forrester-Westad refused to obey orders to stop and launched a chase through woods, highways and busy businesses, court records show.

Police learned that Forrester-Westad was staying at the Microtel Inn and Suites on Route 315.

When officers arrived at the motel, Jessica Bullock, 21, opened the door, saying Forrester-Westad had jumped out of the window, court records show.

According to court records, police said Bullock was being held on an unrelated warrant.

Forrester-Westad was arraigned Wednesday night by District Judge Alexandra Kokura Kravitz in Pittston on charges of fleeing or attempting to evade police, theft, struggling to avoid arrest and escape which were filed by Plains Township police . He was jailed at the Luzerne County Correctional Center for lack of $75,000 bail.

On Thursday, Forrester-Westad was indicted on charges laid by Wilkes-Barre State Police for crashing a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt with a registered license plate on a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer on Interstate 81 in Duryea and fled on foot on April 27, court records say.

State police said the Chevrolet was stolen from a junkyard in Scranton.

Bail was set at $5,000 unsecured on the charges brought by state police.

Comments are closed.